Dr Coburn's Blog
Thoughts and advice from chiropractor, Dr Wendy Coburn
- Move forward to the next stage only when symptom-free for 24 hours
- If symptoms re-appear regress to previous stages and only participate in activities that you can tolerate
- Contact your physician or seek medical help immediately if symptoms worsen. See More >
Why does the bad apple spoil the bunch? Is it because they are all disconnected from the source of LIFE. See More >
(This week’s blog is written by Reed Maltbie, our new Chief Content Officer and Lead Presenter for Changing the Game Project. If you haven’t seen Reed present for us yet, check out his amazing TED talk on the lasting power of a coach’s words. Drop him a line at Reed@ChangingTheGameProject.com to say hello or if you interested in having him come and present to your school or sports association, We are excited to have him on board driving our movement forward!) See More >
So what's the connection between the neck and acid reflux disease? The phrenic nerve. See More >
It seems that everyone can see perfection in a plant. I want you to think about a simple plant that sits on your windowsill. See More >
What is the vision for your health? Together we can work on this. Working in chiropractic even just beginning or a few years in – your body needs to “retrace.” What does this mean? As you are receiving chiropractic care sometimes an individual may get sicker/have more symptoms before they become healthier as their body is “retracing,” their emotional, physical, chemical and electromagnetic stress that their nerve system has experienced over a lifetime. Some individuals have a system that is totally distressed. See More >
Pediatric Chiropractic Care - WHY? See More >
Fun Facts & Quotes
1. Despite everything, life is good. - Anne Frank
2. There are 206 bones in the adult human skeleton
3. There are 32 teeth in the adult human
4. The human body contains 20 times more microbes than it does cells.
5. The lining of your digestive system is shed every 3 days
6. A human has 60,000 miles of blood vessels in their body
7. People DO NOT get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.
8. Humans have an estimated 100 trillion or 1014 cells
9. The large intestine 1.5m long, houses over 700 species of bacteria that perform a variety of functions.
10. Each square inch of human skin consists of 20ft of blood vessels.
11. Every square inch of the human body has an average of 32 million bacteria on it.
12. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hr - about 1.5lbs a yr. By 70 yrs of age,
an average person will have lost 105lbs of skin.
13. Humans shed and re-grow outer skin cells about every 27 days - almost 1,000 new skins in a lifetime.
14. If it were removed from the body, the small intestine would stretch to a length of 22 feet.
15. The human body has over 600 muscles, 40% of the body's weight.
16. The human brain is about 85% water.
17. The brain makes up only 2% of our total body weight, yet demands 20% of the body's oxygen and calories.
18. The average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
19. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles (274 km) per hour.
20. The average surface of the human intestine is 656 square ft (200 m).
21. Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.
22. Three Hundred Million Cells Die In Your Body Every Minute
23. It does sounds like a lot but this is actually less than 0.0001% of the amount of cells being replaced in your
body every day. (about 10-50 trillion cells are being replace in your body every day)
24. You Can Survive Without Food But Not Without Sleep
25. A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation.
26. Death will occur about 10 days without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.
27. In a completely sealed room, you’ll die of carbon dioxide poisoning before you’ll die of oxygen
28. When a person weighing 150lbs jogs 3 miles, the cumulative impact on each foot is greater than 150 tons.
29. There are 45 miles of nerves in the skin of a human being.
30. Velocity of a signal transmitted through a neuron= 1.2 to 250 miles/hour
31. There are more nerve cells in the human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.
32. Number of neurons in human spinal cord = 1 billion
33. By walking an extra 20 minutes every day, an average person will burn off 7 lbs of body fat in an year
34. Your brain sends electric messages at 270 miles per hour to every muscle and organ of the body!
35. A Yale hospital study showed 100,000 people DIE a year from prescription drug reactions.
36. The one single cause of all sickness & disease is lowered resistance.
37. Your body has its own natural innate ability to heal itself.
38. "The doctor of the future will interest patients in the care of the human frame." - Thomas Edison
39. Studies show a spine with normal curves is 16x stronger than a subluxated spine.
40. "Subluxations can reduce nerve impulses by 60%." - Chung Ha Suh Ph.D. University of Colorado
41. Studies show that only 10% of our nervous system perceives pain.
42. The power that created the body heals the body from above--down--inside--out.
43. The nervous system controls & coordinates all organs & structures of the human body. - Grays Anatomy
44. "90% of our brains energy is used for posture alone." - Dr. Richard Sperry (Nobel Prize Recipient)
45. Health is more than the absence of illness; health is the presence of aliveness, energy and joy.
46. "The preservation of health is easier than the cure for disease." - B.J. Palmer
47. "There is no effect without a cause, chiropractors adjust causes, others treat effects." - B.J. Palmer
48. "98% of the atoms in your body were not there a year ago." - Deepak Chopra M.D.
49. Your veins and arteries would stretch over 12,000 miles if laid out straight.
50. One cubic inch of brain cortex contains over 10,000 miles of connecting tissue.
51. "Chiropractic care should begin at birth on a preventative basis." - Dr. Arpad De Nagy
52. "Loss of cervical curve stretches the spinal cord 5-7 cm and causes disease." - A. Breig Nobel Prize
53. If your spine was on your face you would take better care of it.
54. The human body is in a constant state of breakdown & repair.
55. Your brain and spinal cord are the most important organs; and the only ones encase in solid bone.
56. Do you wait until you get thirsty before you start digging a well?
57. Would you go to your dentist if they said "see me only if your in pain"?
58. The farmer does not grow corn- he just nurtures the soil.
59. Do you have a health plan? A plan for health?
60. Without interference, the body will always do better than with interference.
61. Did you brush your teeth today? Why? What did you do for your nervous system?
62. Everything you need for maximal health is inside you, all we have to do is release the power.
63. We're dealing with LIFE and its expression.
64. If your car was out of alignment I know you would get it fixed ASAP.
65. Remember you are continually re-subluxating yourself by carrying groceries, shoveling, sitting at a
computer, sleeping wrong or lifting wrong, etc.
66. We are like dentists; in that we are attempting to realign the spine with the proper input, this is why we
need to see you 1-3x week.
67. The magic that happens in healing is generated in the brain and flows from above, down the spinal cord,
from the inside the nerves and outside to every cell, tissue and organ in your body. Subluxations stop the
magic-lets correct subluxations.
68. The weight of a dime decreases nerve function 60%
69. If we removed all your tissue except the nerves, we could still identify you as you, not just a human.
70. Concerning DJD- if these changes were on the outside of your body it would scare you.
71. How much sense does it make to get your teeth checked 2x a year but not your spine?
72. More than 90% of the people that die of a stroke feel great ten minutes before they die.
73. Correcting subluxations is similar to straightening teeth it takes time.
74. Bend patients finger back until it hurts, then release the tension.
75. Grab patient's wrist to demonstrate subluxation/nerve compression.
76. Pain is a warning; fire alarm-covering up pain is like throwing the alarm out the window.
77. Pain is a warning; car oil light-covering up pain is like ignoring the oil light.
78. Not following through for supportive care is like wearing braces for 3 yrs and not wearing the retainer.
79. No symptoms doesn't mean, no problems.
80. Hold a 10-12lbs weight in your hand, this is same as neck extensors.
81. Do you only brush your teeth when they hurt?
82. Spinal problems are like a cavity in your tooth. They can get worse or you can do something, but they don't
go away on their own.
83. I'm okay when the pain goes away is like saying your teeth are fine because they only hurt when you eat
84. 40 years of construction, no problems then you blow out your low back tying your shoe?
85. A person paralyzed from spinal cord injury will shrink and wither even though blood flow is carrying
oxygen and nutrients-nerve energy is the essential ingredient that is missing.
86. The body heals itself. When you cut your finger, what happens?
87. Keeping your spine subluxation free is like working out- it must be done continuously.
88. Subluxations occur over time like a cavity, with out symptoms.
89. Symptoms are not an indicator of health.
90. 5 keys to health: 1. Diet 2. Exercise 3. Sleep 4. Positive attitude 5. Properly functioning nervous system.
91. If you broke your leg, and it didn't hurt in 10 days would you take the cast off?
92. The health of the human body is directly proportional to the health of the spine and nervous system.
93. Adjusting the spine removes nerve interference and turns the power on!
94. How long do you need to be adjusted? As long as you want optimal health.
95. Ask me about my affordable wellness program for the rest of your family.
96. Adults need chiropractic care to get healthy, children need it to stay healthy.
97. You can’t feel most subluxations until they have been there months or years.
98. Your body contains thousands of nerves which control every body function.
99. Some subluxations can never be completely corrected but need to be managed for optimal health.
100. Subluxations found early are easier to correct.
101. 17 trillion nerve impulses every minute.
102. Your body performs at its best when your spine and nerve system are performing at their best.
103. 90% of energy output of the brain is used in relating the physical body to gravity. 10% has to do with
thinking, metabolism and healing.
104. Only 10% of the nerves in the body sense pain.
105. You can live 40 days without food, 4 days without water, 4 minutes without air, but only seconds without
a nerve supply.
106. Chiropractic is more than neck pain and back pain.
107. Innate intelligence is the inborn power that made the body and heals the body.
108. Adjustments improve immune function.
109. Adjustments increase your breathing capacity.
110. From 30-60 years of age your breathing capacity is decreased about 33%. - Anonymous
111. Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions. - Dalai Lama
112. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
113. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
- Dalai Lama
114. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. - Dalai Lama
115. Sleep is the best meditation. - Dalai Lama
116. Spend some time alone every day. - Dalai Lama
117. The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama
118. This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our
own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. - Dalai Lama
119. “Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” - Abraham Lincoln
120. “If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do
about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no
need to worry.” - Dalai Lama
121. There's lots of people in this world who spend so much time watching their health that they haven't the
time to enjoy it. - Josh Billings
122. The greatest wealth is health. - Virgil
123. If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself. - Leon Eldred
124. The... patient should be made to understand that he or she must take charge of his own life. Don't take
your body to the doctor as if he were a repair shop. - Quentin Regestein
125. Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body. - Cicero
126. If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the
wealth you need, even if it is not all you want. - Elbert Hubbard
127. The longer I live the less confidence I have in drugs and the greater is my confidence in the regulation
and administration of diet and regimen. - John Redman Coxe, 1800
128. A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. - Irish Proverb
129. When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no "I'll start tomorrow." Tomorrow is disease.
130. I think you might dispense with half your doctors if you would only consult Dr. Sun more.
- Henry Ward Beecher
131. Appearance of a disease is swift as an arrow; its disappearance slow, like a thread. - Chinese Proverb
132. Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it. - Josh Billings
133. An imaginary ailment is worse than a disease. - Yiddish Proverb
134. Health is a large word. It embraces not the body only, but the mind and spirit as well; ... and not today's
pain or pleasure alone, but the whole being and outlook of a man. - James H. West
135. From the bitterness of disease man learns the sweetness of health. - Anonymous
136. It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children's health than the pediatrician.
137. I see rejection in my skin, worry in my cancers, bitterness and hate in my aching joints. I failed to take
care of my mind, and so my body now goes to hospital. - Astrid Alauda
138. The scientific truth may be put quite briefly; eat moderately, having an ordinary mixed diet, and don't
worry. - Robert Hutchison, 1932
139. To avoid sickness eat less; to prolong life worry less. - Chu Hui Weng
140. It’s a lot harder to keep people well than it is to just get them over a sickness. - DeForest Clinton Jarvis
141. Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well. - Marcus Valerius Martial
142. Live in rooms full of light. Avoid heavy food. Be moderate in the drinking of wine. Take massage, baths,
exercise, and gymnastics. Fight insomnia with gentle rocking or the sound of running water
Change surroundings and take long journeys. Strictly avoid frightening ideas. Indulge in cheerful
conversation and amusements. Listen to music. - A. Cornelius Celsus
143. Half the modern drugs could well be thrown out the window, except that the birds might eat them.
144. Doctors are always working to preserve our health and cooks to destroy it, but the latter are the more
often successful. - Denis Diderot
145. He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything. - Arabic Proverb
146. Happiness lies, first of all, in health. - George William Curtis
147. If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and loving, you don't actually live longer; it just seems
longer. - Clement Freud, The Observer, 27 December 1964
148. If you do everything you should do, and don’t do anything you shouldn’t do, you will, according to the
best available statistics, live exactly 18 hours longer than you would otherwise. - Logain Clendening
149. May you live as long as you are fit to live, but no longer! or, may you rather die before you cease to be fit
to live than after! - Philip Dormer Stanhope, 1749
150. So many people spend their health gaining wealth, and then have to spend their wealth to regain their
health. - A.J. Reb Materi, Our Family
151. The best exercise is pushing yourself away from the table. - Grandpa Arthur Strutz
152. The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what
you'd druther not. - Mark Twain
153. "People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." - Leo J. Burke
154. "That we are not much sicker and much madder than we are is due exclusively to that most blessed and
blessing of all natural graces, sleep." - Aldous Huxley
155. "Living is a disease from which sleep gives us relief eight hours a day." - S. R. N. Chamfort
156. "To achieve the impossible dream, try going to sleep." - Joan Klempner
157. As I see it, every day you do one of two things: build health or produce disease in yourself.
158. Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory. - Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)
159. Health is not valued till sickness comes. - Dr. Thomas Fuller
160. Health is not simply the absence of sickness. - Hannah Green
161. A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own
thought to derive benefit from his illnesses. Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC), Regimen in Health
162. You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others, or ignore them and concentrate on
being happy with yourself as you are. - J. Jacques
163. If you trust Google more than your doctor then maybe it's time to switch doctors. - Anonymous
164. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. - Redd Foxx
165. Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away. - Robert Orben
166. A Hospital is no place to be sick. - Samuel Goldwyn (1882 - 1974)
167. Eating everything you want is not that much fun. When you live a life with no boundaries, there’s less
joy. If you can eat anything you want to, what’s the fun in eating anything you want to? - Tom Hanks
168. A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be. - Albert Einstein
169. A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. - Albert Einstein
170. A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein
171. Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein
172. If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I
would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if
you didn't ask me, I'd still have to say it. - George Burns
173. The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important. -
Martin Luther King, Jr.
174. How do you live a long life? "Take a 2- mile walk every morning before breakfast." - Harry S. Truman
175. One should eat to live, not live to eat. - Anonymous
176. A man ninety years old was asked to what he attributed his longevity. I reckon, he said, with a twinkle in
his eye, it because most nights I went to bed and slept when I should have sat up and worried.
177. Stress is basically a disconnection from the earth, a forgetting of the breath. Stress is an ignorant state. It
believes that everything is an emergency. Nothing is that important. Just lie down. Natalie Goldberg
178. "The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human
frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas Edison
179. "Most over-the-counter and almost all prescribed drug treatments merely mask symptoms or control
health problems or in some way alter the way organs or systems such as the circulatory system work.
Drugs almost never deal with the reasons why these problems exist, while they frequently create new
health problems as side effects of their activities." - John R. Lee, M.D.
180. "Even if conventional medicine tells you that your condition is incurable or that your only option is to
live a life dependent on drugs with troublesome side effects, there is hope for improviing or reversing
your condition." - Leon Chaitow, N.D., D.O.
181. "The treatments themselves do not 'cure' the condition, they simply restore the body's self-healing
ability." - Leon Chaitow, N.D., D.O.
182. "Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food." - Hippocrates (460-377 BC)
183. "The next major advance in the health of the American people will be determined by what the individual
is willing to do for himself." - John Knowles, Former President of Rockefeller Foundation
184. "No Illness which can be treated by the diet should be treated by any other means." - Moses Maimonides
185. "A wise man ought to realize that health is his most valuable possession." - Hippocrates
186. "Medicine is a collection of uncertain prescriptions, the results of which taken collectively, are more fatal
than useful to mankind. Water, air and cleanliness are the chief articles in my pharmacopeia." -
187. Oh, the powers of nature! She knows what we need, and doctors know nothing. - Benvenuto Cellini
188. Nature, time and patience are three great physicians. - H.G. Bohn
189. Until I accept my faults I will most certainly doubt my virtues. - Hugh Prather
190. You're good enough, you're smart enough and gosh darn it people like you. - Stuart Smalley
191. I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso
192. The only cure for grief is action. - George Henry Lewis
193. Anyone can become angry---that is easy.? But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the
right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way---this is not easy. - Aristotle
194. A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities, and an optimist is one who makes
opportunities of his difficulties. - Harry Truman
195. Holding on to anger is like holding on to a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are
the one who gets burned. - Buddha
196. Its not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it. - Hans Selye
197. "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you can not do this very little thing,
why do you worry about the rest?" - Luke 12:25-26
198. The most vital aspect of winning is mental attitude. - Phil Mahre Olympic Gold Medalist
199. Excellence is not an act but a habit. - Aristotle
200. I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
201. I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. - Ben Franklin
202. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
203. I'm an old man and I've had many troubles, most of which never happened. - Mark Twain
204. When it rains, I let it. - 113 year old man in response to a question about the secret of his longevity
205. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin. - Mother Teresa
206. The best way to get something done is to begin. - Anonymous
207. "The first wealth is health." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
208. "The power to heal is within you. Your body can heal itself. Just give it a chance." - Andrew Weil
209. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or
anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. - Buddha
210. Only in America - do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their
prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front of the store. - Anonymous
211. American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product,
including floor wax, that has fat in it. - Anonymous
212. There is nothing that wastes the body like worry. - Gandhi
213. Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love. - Gandhi
214. We must become the change we want to see. - Gandhi
215. Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. - Gandhi
216. “I feel that chiropractors correctly stress the importance of the spine to general health of mind & body, a
fact often under rated by most medical doctors.” - Andrew Weil MD
217. Hugs Available Upon Request. - Marcus Strutz DC
218. Remember to Pay It Forward, perform random acts of kindness. - Marcus Strutz DC
219. Keep your face to the sunshine and you can not see the shadows. - Helen Keller
220. Optimism is faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope or confidence. - HK
221. I seldom think of my limitations, and they never make me sad. - Helen Keller
222. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. Security is mostly a superstition. It doesn’t exist in
nature. - Helen Keller
223. When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we
do not see the one which has been opened for us. - Helen Keller
224. It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision. - Helen Keller
225. Eat to live, and not live to eat. - Ben Franklin
226. Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
227. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Ben Franklin
228. It is not easy being green. - Kermit
229. Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth
230. I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. - Michael Jordan
231. I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
232. In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
233. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. - Wayne Gretzky
234. A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
- Muhammad Ali
235. Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are. - Muhammad Ali
236. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. - Muhammad Ali
237. If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. - Lance Armstrong
238. Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever. - Lance Armstrong
239. Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-
percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight. - Lance Armstrong
240. We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of
determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort. - Jesse Owens
241. Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust. - Jesse Owens
242. Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. - George Washington
243. I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life. - George Burns
244. I'm very pleased to be here. Let's face it, at my age I'm very pleased to be anywhere. - George
245. Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. - George Burns
246. In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. - Bill Cosby
247. The main goal of the future is to stop violence. The world is addicted to it. - Bill Cosby
248. You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even
poverty, you can survive it. - Bill Cosby
249. I believe that if you show people the problems and you show them the solutions they will be moved
to act. - Bill Gates
250. Is the rich world aware of how four billion of the six billion live? If we were aware, we would want to
help out, we'd want to get involved. - Bill Gates
251. Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning. - Bill Gates
252. Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical. - Yogi Berra
253. A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives. - Jackie Robinson
254. I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human
- Jackie Robinson
255. A child miss-educated is a child lost. - John F. Kennedy
256. A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if
we care enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a revolution which is coming whether
we will it or not. We can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability. - John F. Kennedy
257. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the
- John F. Kennedy
258. Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of
destructive selfishness. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
259. We don't have no prophet; we don't have no scripture; we don't have no bible; we don't have no beliefs.
Innate? This is not beliefs. This is knowledge. - Sid Williams
260. "Medicine, law, business, engineering. These are noble pursuits. And necessary to sustain life. But
poetry, beauty, romance, love... These are what we stay alive for." - Robin Williams
261. Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise. - Sigmund Freud
262. It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and
shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very
- Neil Armstrong
263. Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - Neil Armstrong
264. Life is not merely being alive, but being well. - Martial, 66 AD, Epigrams
265. We know a great deal more about the causes of disease than we do about the causes of health.
- M. Scott Peck
266. In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are only consequences.- Robert G. Ingersol
267. The greatest of follies is to sacrifice health for any other kind of happiness. - Schopenhauer, Arthur
268. A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his thought
to derive benefit from his illnesses. - Hippocrates
269. In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties. - Henri-Frederic Amiel 1828-1881
270. Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory. - Albert Schweitzer
271. Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. - Mark Twain
272. Inaction, save as a measure of recuperation between bursts of activity, is painful and dangerous to the
healthy organism - in fact, it is almost impossible. Only the dying can he really idle. - H. L. Mencken
273. I know a lot of men who are healthier at age fifty than they have ever been before, because a lot of their
fear is gone. - Robert Bly
274. For the rational, psychologically healthy man, the desire for pleasure is the desire to celebrate his control
over reality. For the neurotic, the desire for pleasure is the desire to escape from reality. -
275. Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair. - Dorothy Parker
276. Be sober and temperate, and you will be healthy. Be in general virtuous and you will be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
277. It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth and wisdom. - Aristotle
278. Having good health is very different from only being not sick. - Seneca The Younger, 50 AD
279. A young man with good health and a poor appetite can save up money. - James Montgomery Bailey
280. Without health, life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering. - Francois Rabelais
281. When we are well, we all have good advice for those who are ill. - Terrence, 166 BC
282. To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and
clear. - Gautama the Buddha, 563 BC
283. Life is not merely being alive, but being well. - Martial, Epigrams
284. The trouble about always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without
destroying the health of the mind. - G. K. Chesterton,
285. Come to Think of It Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance. - Plato
286. The more serious the illness, the more important it is for you to fight back, mobilizing all your resources -
spiritual, emotional, intellectual, and physical. - Normin Cousins
287. There is no curing a sick man who believes himself in health. - Henri Amiel, 1877
288. Rest, as soon as there is pain, is a great restorative in all disturbances of the body. - Hippocrates
289. The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea. - Isak Dinesen, 1885-1962
290. To wish to be well is a part of becoming well. - Seneca
291. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease. - Sivananda
292. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. - M. Kathleen Casey
293. The man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. - Michel De Montaigne
294. We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full. - Marcel Proust
295. A cheerful heart is good medicine. - Bible, Proverbs 17:22
296. To do nothing is sometimes a good remedy. - Hippocrates, 400 BC
297. There are some remedies worse than the disease. - Publius Syrus, 50 BC
298. Most diseases are the result of medication which has been prescribed to relieve and take away a
beneficient and warning symptom on the part of Nature. - Elbert Hubbard
299. There are two great medicines: Diet and Self-Control. - Max Bircher, 1962
300. To safeguard one's health at the cost of too strict a diet is a tiresome illness indeed.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld
301. What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious
disease. - George Dennison Prentice
302. Simple diet is best; for many dishes bring many diseases; and rich sauces are worse than heaping several
meats upon each other. - Pliny
303. Dieting is a system of starving yourself to death so you can live a little longer. - Jan Murray
304. Leave your drugs in the chemist’s pot if you can cure the patient with food. - Hippocrates, 420 BC
305. One can not think well, love well or sleep well if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf, 1929
306. One meal a day is enough for a lion and it ought to be for a man. - G. Fordyce
307. In general, mankind, since improvement of cookery, eat twice as much as nature requires. - Franklin
308. One should eat to live, not live to eat. - Franklin
309. Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
310. The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted.
- Mother Theresa
311. When the patient loves his disease, how unwilling he is to allow a remedy to be applied.
- Pierre Corneille, Le Cid
312. Diseases are penalties we pay for overindulgence, or for our neglect of the means of health. - Bulwer
313. All diseases run into one: old age. - Emerson, 1840
314. Diseases are the Price of Ill Pleasures. - Thomas Fuller
315. We forget ourselves and our destinies in health and the chief use of temporary sickness is to remind us of
these concerns. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
316. We are more apt to catch the vices of others than their virtues, as disease is far more contagious than
health. - Charles Caleb Colton: Lacon, 1.247
317. A healthy body is a guest-chamber for the soul; a sick body is a prison. - Francis Bacon
318. It is more important to know what kind of patient has the disease than what kind of disease the patient
has. - Sir William Osler
319. A doctor would promise life to a corpse if it could swallow the pills. - Napoleon
320. One of the first duties of the physician is to educate the masses not to take medicine. - William Osler
321. The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. - Voltaire
322. Some people think that doctors and nurses can put scrambled eggs back into the shell.
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher
323. He cures most in whom most have faith.- Galen
324. Oh, the powers of Nature! She knows what we need and the doctors know nothing.
- Benvenuto Cellini, 1860
325. The great secret of doctors, known only to their wives, but still hidden from the public, is that most things
get better by themselves; most things, in fact, are better in the morning. - Lewis Thomas
326. Cur'd yesterday of my disease, I died last night of my physician. - Matthew Prior
327. Doctors cut, burn and torture the sick, then demand of them an undeserved fee for such services.
- Heraclitus, 500 BC
328. As long as we are liable to die and desirous to live, a physician will be made fun of, but he will be well
paid. - La Bruyere, 1688
329. God heals, and the doctor takes the fee. - Benjamin Franklin
330. Some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their
contentment with the goodness of the physician. - Hippocrates
331. It is true that I am carrying out various methods of treatment recommended by doctors and dentists in the
hope of dying in the remote future in perfect health. - George Santayana
332. Each patient carries his own doctor inside him. They come to us not knowing that truth. We are at our
best when we give the doctor who resides in each patient a chance to work. - Albert Schweitzer, M.D.
333. “The greatest discovery of any generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering
the attitudes of their minds.” Dr. Albert Schweitzer ~ 1875-1965 1952 Nobel Peace Prize
334. While other professions are concerned with changing the environment to suit the weakened body,
chiropractic is concerned with strengthening the body to suit the environment. - B.J. Palmer, D.C.
335. Intelligence is present everywhere in our bodies... Our own inner intelligence is far superior to any we
can try to substitute from the outside. - Deepak Chopra, M.D.
336. There are 206 bones in the adult human skeleton.
337. There are 32 teeth in the adult human.
338. The human body contains 20 times more microbes than it does cells.
339. The lining of your digestive system is shed every 3 days.
340. A human has 60,000 miles of blood vessels in their body.
341. People DO NOT get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.
342. Humans have an estimated 100 trillion cells.
343. The large intestine 1.5m long houses over 700 species of bacteria that perform a variety of functions.
344. Each square inch of human skin consists of twenty feet of blood vessels.
345. Every square inch of the human body has an average of 32 million bacteria on it.
346. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour - about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an
average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
347. Humans shed and re-grow outer skin cells about every 27 days - almost 1,000 new skins in a lifetime.
348. If it were removed from the body, the small intestine would stretch to a length of 22 feet.
349. The human body has over 600 muscles, 40% of the body's weight.
350. The human brain is about 85% water.
351. Though it makes up only 2% of our total body weight, the brain demands 20% of the body's oxygen and
352. The average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
353. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles (274 km) per hour.
354. The average surface of the human intestine is 656 square feet (200 m).
355. Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.
356. There are nearly 650 skeletal muscles in the human body!
357. Three hundred million cells die in your body every minute.
358. It does sounds like a lot but this is actually less than 0.0001% of the amount of cells being replaced in
your body every day. (about 10-50 trillion cells are being replace in your body every day)
359. You can survive without food but not without sleep
360. A person will die from total lack of sleep sooner than from starvation. Death will occur about 10 days
without sleep, while starvation takes a few weeks.
361. You need sleep as much as you need food. Many people neglect the importance of having enough sleep.
With water alone, an average person could survive a month to two without food (that also varies from an
individual’s body fat and other factors).
362. If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you
will die of oxygen deprivation.
363. If a person weighing 150 lbs jogs 3 miles, the cumulative impact on each foot is greater than 150 tons.
364. There are 45 miles of nerves in the skin of a human being.
365. Velocity of a signal transmitted through a neuron= 1.2 to 250 miles/hour
366. There are more nerve cells in the human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.
367. Number of neurons in human spinal cord = 1 billion.
368. By walking an extra 20 minutes every day, an average person will burn off 7 lbs of body fat in a year.
369. Cur'd yesterday of my disease, I died last night of my physician. - Matthew Prior
370. Most diseases are the result of medication which has been prescribed to relieve and take away a
beneficient and warning symptom on the part of Nature. - Elbert Hubbard
371. What does interference with transmission of nerve power cause? Dis-ease.
372. What does a properly working nervous system never do? Destroy itself or the rest of the body.
373. What heals the body? The power that made the body.
374. It is easier to stay well than to do what? Get well.
375. What does chiropractic give you? A new meaning of life.
376. If your spine protects your nervous system, what protects your spine? Chiropractic!
377. What “sign of life” is under direct control of the nervous system? Respiration.
378. How many messages does the brain send per second going back and forth from the brain to the body? 3 to
379. What happens by the time a child is 4 years old? They may have had over 4,000 impacts to their spine.
380. How does the spine heal without spinal care? Crooked.
381. What type of outside forces work against Innate Intelligence? Unhealthy foods, medicine, chemicals
382. What did Hippocrates believe? That the future of health care would belong to the practitioners who use
only their hands.
383. If health is not a destination, what is it? A way of life.
384. What happens without life force? Nothing can live.
385. What’s the last thing to show up and the first thing to leave? Pain.
386. You are not healthy if what? You have subluxation.
387. What happens if you don’t take care of your body? You cannot expect it to take care of you!
388. How do you let your light shine? Take care of your spine!
389. Where should all people go? A no-subluxation zone!
390. What is the ideal state of living matter? Optimal health.
391. What gives life? The arc of life – a healthy neck curve.
392. What does adjusting the spine remove and do? It removes nerve interference and turns the power on.
393. How long will you need to be adjusted? As long as you want optimal health!
394. What never takes a vacation? A subluxation!
395. How does the adjustment affect your white blood cell count? It raises it within 20 minutes, which helps to
396. About how many times a day does a child learning to walk, fall? 25 times.
397. What don’t drugs eliminate? Subluxation.
398. What would happen if drugs and surgeries made sick people well? Then the people who took the most
drugs and had surgeries would be the healthiest people alive.
399. What is your body never suffering from? Lack of drugs or too many organs.
400. How does chiropractic help the body to heal? It removes nerve interference so innate intelligence can
401. Where does all life flow from? Above down inside out.
402. You will never know optimal health if you don’t have what? 100% nerve flow.
403. How is the body electric? The power must be on to work the nervous system.
404. The health of the human body is directly proportional to what? The health of the spine and nervous
405. With a healthy body, how often do you have a new skeleton? Every 90 days.
406. With a healthy body, how often do you have a new liver? Every 6 weeks.
407. When your body is sick what might it create? A fever to cool itself down.
408. How is subluxation like a light switch? It turns off the necessary flow of information from your brain.
409. When the doctor adjusts the spine, it turns the power back on.
410. What does age have to do with subluxation? Nothing! It destroys the health of everyone, at any age.
411. What can subluxation choke? The vital information that travels from your brain to every cell of your
412. What does subluxation result in? An unbalanced nervous system, discomfort and disease.
413. Who is known as the developer of Chiropractic? B.J. Palmer.
414. Who is known as the founder of chiropractic? D.D. Palmer.
415. How is your spine like a tree? As a twig is bent so grows the tree!
416. Where do the nerves from the fourth mid back area go? To the gallbladder, heart, lungs, and bronchial
417. How many moveable bones are in your spine? 24.
418. What do Doctors of Chiropractic specialize in? The detection and correction of vertebral subluxation.
419. How many years does a Doctor of Chiropractic go to college and graduate school? 6 to 8 years minimum.
420. How are chiropractors different? In their ultimate goals for their patients - relief care only or subluxation
421. How long does the adjustment take? A minute or so by the chiropractor but four to six hours for the body
422. What does long term subluxation result in? Spinal arthritis or degeneration.
423. What causes subluxation? Birth trauma, poor sleeping habits, injuries stemming from work conditions,
poor posture, auto accidents, slips and falls, and even genetics!
424. Why is the spine important? It’s the house for the nervous system.
425. Who needs to be adjusted? Anyone who wants optimal health!
426. Why should you get adjusted multiple times a week? It establishes a rhythm for optimal healing in the
427. When should someone get their first subluxation check-up? As soon as possible after birth.
428. Where does the best doctor on the planet live? Inside of you!
429. You will never know optimal health if you don’t have what? 100% nerve function.
430. The maximum weight of a loaded backpack should never exceed what? 15% of your body weight.
431. The health of the human body is directly proportional to what? The health of the spine and nervous
432. A healthy neck curve is also known as what? The arc of life.
433. How do adjustments turn the power on? They let the life freely flow from the brain to the body.
434. What can subluxation choke? The vital information that travels from your brain to every cell of your
435. What does subluxation result in? An unbalanced nervous system, discomfort and disease.
436. For proper physical and mental health, what must your nerves be? Free from spinal stress.
437. What do subluxations do the nerve energy flow? The cause static.
438. What do subluxations interfere with? The flow of Innate Intelligence.
439. What happens to the body when it is subluxation free? It is in complete harmonious coordination and
fulfilling its purpose.
440. Subluxations limit the force that unites what? Innate Intelligence with your body.
441. Subluxation interferes with the transmission of what? Nerve flow.
442. What should you do when subluxations tax your body? Refund your health with Chiropractic care.
443. Why shouldn’t you gamble with subluxations? Because an adjustment is the jackpot.
444. What happens to the spinal cord when the vertebrae becomes displaced? It becomes “stressed and
445. Why is it better to find subluxations early? They are more easily corrected.
446. Chiropractors are the only health care professionals trained to what? Detect and correct subluxation.
447. What do subluxations rob the body of? The energy to think, organize and metabolize.
448. Where there’s subluxation, there’s what? Less than 100% expression on life.
449. Subluxation is usually silent, like what? Like a cavity or cancer or clogged arteries can be.
450. Innate Intelligence always functions normally as long as what? Subluxations do not block its flow.
451. Healing and balance require what? Time.
452. What do adjustments do, given time? Rebuild and reproduce a condition called health.
453. What does a chiropractic adjustment clear the way for? Innate to operate.
454. How is an adjustment like a puzzle? Putting it back together reveals a beautiful picture.
455. What does Deepak Chopra, M.D. say about your body? It can produce antibodies to any disease known to
456. What’s the difference between a decaying tooth and a decaying spine? The tooth can be replaced but the
457. What must you do to maintain a healthy lifestyle? Maintain a healthy spine.
458. What does the process of health take? Time.
459. What is the speed of life? 270 MPH – the speed of nerve flow in the body.
460. Who is known as the educator of Chiropractic? David Palmer
461. What happens if you allow a fever to run its normal course? It speeds the healing process.
462. What do the cell s of our bodies have? Universal Intelligence that knows exactly how to maintain the
463. What does interference to the proper growth of cells lead to? Disease or pain.
464. How is subluxation like an earthquake? If there is a shift of the spinal bones, the effects are felt
throughout the body.
465. What is an intermediate declining stage somewhere between life and death? Dis-ease.
466. What is the master system of your body? Your nervous system.
467. How does vertebral subluxation stop innate intelligence? It eliminates nerve flow.
468. What happens if you take care of your spine? It will take care of you.
469. What is 99% of the energy output of your brain used for? Relating the physical body to gravity.
470. What is only 10% of the energy output of your brain used for? Thinking, metabolism, and healing.
471. What does loss of the normal neck curve do to the spinal cord? Stretches it 5-7 cm and produces
472. Where does the power to live flow from? Within!
473. Innate Intelligence flows constantly within us, controlling what? All functions of the body from birth to
474. What keeps the power that exists in each of us from expressing its full potential? Restriction, as in
interference or subluxation.
475. It is easier to stay well than to do what? Get well.
476. What does chiropractic give you? A new meaning of Life.
477. If your spine protects your nervous system, what protects your spine? Chiropractic!
478. What “sign of life” is under direct control of the nervous system? Respiration.
479. What happens by the time a child is 4 years old? They may have had over 4,000 impacts to their spine.
480. What does adjusting the spine remove and do? It removes nerve interference and turns the power on.
481. Where do the nerves from the fourth low back bone area go? To the prostate gland, muscles of the lower
back and the sciatic nerve.
482. What happens to the body when it is subluxation free? It is in complete harmonious coordination and
fulfilling its purpose.
483. Where do nerves from the sixth mid back bone area go? To the stomach, esophagus, liver and duodenum.
484. Subluxation interferes with the transmission of what? Nerve flow.
485. Where do nerves from the second bone in the neck go? To the eyes, auditory nerves, sinuses, tongue and
486. Why is it better to find subluxations early? They are more easily corrected.
487. Chiropractors are the only health care professionals trained to what? Detect and correct subluxation.
488. Where do nerves from the first low back bone area go? To the large intestine and uterus.
489. Subluxation is usually silent, like what? Like a cavity or cancer or clogged arteries can be.
490. Healing and balance require what? Time.
491. What do adjustments do given time? Rebuild and reproduce a condition called health.
492. What does a chiropractic adjustment clear the way for? Innate to operate.
493. Where do nerves from the 10th bone area in the mid back go? To the kidneys, appendix, testes, ovaries,
uterus, adrenal cortex, spleen, pancreas and large intestine.
494. Why is the neck traction exercise important? It extends the adjustment and helps rebuild necessary tissue
support for the spine.
495. Where do nerves from the first bone in the neck go? Blood supply to the head, pituitary gland, scalp,
bones of the face, brain, inner and middle ear and the eyes.
496. The sympathetic chain is damaged when subluxation happens where? The top of the spine.
497. What does the sympathetic nervous system control? Eyes, ears and other sense organs; glands and blood
vessels of the brain; immune response; bone growth; fat metabolism; reaction to stress; brain function.
498. Where do nerves form the 3rd bone in the mid back area go? To the lungs, bronchial tubes, chest, breasts,
499. What does interference to the proper growth of cells lead to? Disease or pain.
500. What system in the body controls everything? Your central nervous system.
501. Where do nerves from the eight bone area of the mid back go? To the spleen, stomach, liver, pancreas,
adrenal cortex, small intestine and pyloric valve.
502. Where do nerves from the 4th mid back area go? To the gallbladder, heart, lungs and bronchial tubes.
503. How long does the adjustment take? A minute or so by the chiropractor but four to six hours for the body
504. What does long term subluxation result in? Spinal arthritis or degeneration.
505. What causes subluxation? Birth trauma, poor sleeping habits, injuries stemming from work conditions,
poor posture, auto accidents, slips and falls, and even genetics!
506. Why is the spine important? It’s the house for the nervous system.
507. Who needs to be adjusted? Anyone who wants optimal health!
508. Why should you get adjusted multiple times a week? It establishes a rhythm for optimal healing in the
See More >
Caffeine and the Aware Parent See More >
Childhood Obesity and the Aware Parent See More >
- Parachute’s Protocol for return to learn after a Concussion
- Life Like an Apple Connected to it’s Source or a Bad Apple! Where do you stand?
- Developing Warriors Not Winners
- Acid Reflux and the Phrenic Nerve
- From "The Art of Being Healthy"
- November 2016
- Pediatric Chiropractic Care - WHY?
- Fun Facts and Quotes
- Caffeine and the Aware Parent
- Childhood Obesity and the Aware Parent
- ADD (1)
- addiction (2)
- ADHD (2)
- Adjustment (3)
- Aging (1)
- allergies (1)
- Alzheimers (3)
- Ankle (1)
- antioxidants (1)
- Asthema (2)
- Athletic (1)
- Atlas Vertebra (1)
- Autism (2)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (1)
- Autonomic Function (1)
- Babies (10)
- Back Pain (6)
- Bacteria (1)
- Balance (4)
- Birth Trauma (1)
- Blood Pressure (3)
- Blood Stem Cells (1)
- Blood Tests (1)
- Brain Adjustment (2)
- Brain Development (3)
- Brain Shinkage (1)
- Brazil (1)
- Breastfeeding (1)
- Carbs (1)
- Care Program (1)
- Cerebral Palsy (1)
- Children's Health (16)
- Children's Products (2)
- Chiropractor (43)
- Chronic Asthma (1)
- Concussion (2)
- Dementia (1)
- Depression (4)
- DIabetes (3)
- Disc Height (1)
- Dr. Rosen (1)
- drugs (3)
- Drugs Ineffective (2)
- Ear Infections (1)
- E-Cigarettes (1)
- Energy (2)
- Epidural Injections (1)
- FIFA (1)
- Fire Retardants (1)
- Fish Oil (1)
- Free Time (2)
- Free Up Time (2)
- Functional Movement Disorder (1)
- Genetics (1)
- Gut Bacteria (1)
- Headaches (5)
- healing (6)
- Health (20)
- Healthcare (4)
- Healthy (11)
- Heart Disease (1)
- Hockey (1)
- Holiday Stress (1)
- Immune System (5)
- Infants (3)
- Inheriting (1)
- Knee Chest Technique (1)
- leukemia clusters (1)
- Longevity (1)
- Lower Back Pain (6)
- Macro-trauma (1)
- Massage Therapy (1)
- Medical Cannabis (1)
- Mental Function (3)
- mental health (1)
- Microbiome (1)
- Micro-trauma (1)
- Migraine Pain (1)
- Mood (2)
- MRI (1)
- MSG (1)
- nerve (1)
- Nervous System (1)
- Network Spinal Analysis (2)
- neurodevelopment disorders (1)
- neuroplasticity (1)
- Nitric Oxide (1)
- nutrition (10)
- omega-3 fatty acids (1)
- Pain (1)
- Painkillers (2)
- Post-Natal (1)
- Posture (3)
- Pregnancy (3)
- Prescription Drugs (2)
- Prolonged Sitting (1)
- Pulse Rate (2)
- Recovery (3)
- Reduce Stress (3)
- Relaxation (1)
- rest (1)
- ReSubluxation (1)
- rice protein (1)
- Sciatica Pain (2)
- Scoliosis (1)
- Seizures (1)
- Seniors (1)
- skill development (2)
- Skin (1)
- Sleep (1)
- Smoking (2)
- Soccer (1)
- Spinal manipulation (2)
- Spine (1)
- Sprain (1)
- Stem Cell (1)
- Stimulants (2)
- Stress (5)
- Subluxation (7)
- subluxations (2)
- Success (2)
- Sugar (2)
- Suicide (1)
- Superfoods (1)
- Synthetic Cannabis (1)
- toxic food (1)
- Toxins (3)
- training (1)
- Trauma (1)
- tungsten (1)
- Upper Cervical Chiropractic (1)
- Vacations (1)
- Vertebral subluxation (1)
- Vitamin D (2)
- Webster Technique (1)
- Weight Loss (3)
- Wellness (17)
- Youth (3)